Saturday 17 May 2008

Vanity and vada pav

Some interesting historical comments about Mumbai along with the washing of Thackeray's (or should I say Thakre) dirty linen in true editorial fashion in this HT article. The other hilarious piece of news that I heard recently was the possibility of the ubiquitous vada pav being patented by Shiv Sena as an exclusively Marathi recipe. They want to rechristen it to Shiv vada pav. Other repercussions notwithstanding, my primary concern is the collateral damage it will cause to my father's love for the mumbai ispecial delicacy. Vada pav might lose one of its more loyal connoisseurs to the brickbats of marathi chauvinism. Happily touring the US right now, my father doesn't know what's in store for him when he steps out of Sahar, oops....Chattrapathi Shivaji International airport.

1 comment:

Anirudh Patil said...

I agree that it is ridiculous the way Thakre is going on about the name changing. However, I had heard a speech of Raj where he presented some disturbing statistics about jobs. It is quite possible that these statistics were picked only to suit his point, but till someone does not answer them, i see a very good chance of shiv-sena/MNS doing well in the next general elections.