Monday 4 February 2008

North bhai Northwest

A few days ago I wrote a post where I called Bal Thackeray the abominable demagogue of my city. What I perhaps failed to mention is that Bal Thackeray has spawned a legacy of abomination. Yes I call it my city because my family has made Bombay its home for the last three generations.

Culturally, I feel much more close to a Maharashtrian from Bombay or Pune than I do to a Tamil speaking person from Chennai or Madurai. And I have no qualms about that; in fact I find it weird when an arbitrary tamilian accosts me and starts exchanging pleasantries. If it weren't for his ethnocentric motives, I would have to tell him to go get a room. But in spite of my natural disinclinations, my family has tried its best to ingest some of our native culture into my consciousness in the name of God, society and other such excuses. I do not refer to Diwali as Deepavali; I do not bother to keep track of when it's pongal or navaratri and wish my folks in advance; nor do I bother to chant the gayatri mantra a thousand and one times during the narali pournima. But then I do believe that my mother tongue is one of the most eloquent languages; I think the adages in Thirukural constitute one of the greatest poems; I regard Kalki as a great author though I have read only his translated works and I think Kamal Hassan is a brilliant actor. I also believe there is nothing that Rajni can't but that belief has nothing to do with my tamil ethnicity. I'm sure others (Chuck Norris included) will vouch for Rajni too.

The situation, I suppose would be similar for most second-third generation people of other ethnicities making their life in Maximum city. But that is not acceptable to Mr. Raj Thackeray who with his party of hooligans is currently promoting the politics of hatred which unfortunately with a leg and a half in a grave, his uncle isn't feeling good enough for. Raj has issued an ultimatum to the north Indians living in his Mumbai that "if they want to remain in Maharashtra then they should stay like Maharashtrians". The workers of his party, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) have gone around destroying theatres screening Bhojpuri films, removing effigies of Amitabh Bachchan (He is the brand ambassador for UP and recently started a school for girls in Bihar, which to Raj Thackeray is equivalent to treason) and throwing bottles at his house and generally wreaking havoc in Dadar and Lalbaug.

Raj Thackeray began the campaign against North Indians last week after he slammed some of the north-Indian customs, saying "Mumbai is not a place for the celebration of Chhath Puja (a festival of Bihar) or Bharatiya Uttar Pradesh Divas."

....."If the North Indians want to stay in Maharashtra, then better they learn the Marathi culture and language. Let them learn to celebrate Maharashtra Day instead of any other state events," he said.

There is fantastic polemics everywhere around for anyone who is willing to lend a year and savour them. For instance,

"Why are the Railways full of Biharis? Are Maharashtrians less able?" Thackery had demanded, and these remarks had – as expected – sparked off the wrath of Railway Minister Laloo Prasad Yadav. "Raj Thackeray is a child! Localisation will not be tolerated in an era of globalisation!" Laloo had flashed back.

No, Mr. Laloo Yadav, Raj Thackeray is not a child. Whether his politics will win him his ambitions or not only time will tell but have no doubt that he'll be more than nuisance value in the next few months!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe sad, but it is totally in line with the current political policies of the country where locality rules and the bigger picture is totally abandoned. It's all about MY_family > MY_friends > MY_village > MY_district, etc etc.

It'll take a really powerful and honest man to change that. Powerful and honest. A paradox perhaps.

Unknown said...

oh yeah, and watch out for Valentine's day. Wanton destruction, coming soon to a card shop near you!

Anirudh Patil said...

isn't it weird that these people always proudly talk about Indians/ Maharashtrians in America celebrating Diwali and Ganesh Chaturthi.

Hardboiled said...

Its crazy I know. And whats sadder is educated people are as cynical as them. My dad for example. But then I've also heard its a real problem for Mumbai people to get work because of the outsiders. Hence the politics and propaganda.

P.S Me thinks AB didnt invite him to the wedding:-|

Philip Carey said...

I guess Raj still thinks that he can get leverage from pro-ghati sentiments. He'll surely have sympathies from the ghats of Bombay who are now a minority :-) But I don't think ghats are doing so bad economically that they'll actually elect him.

Bal on the other hand was successful in such a campaign against the Tamil people when there was an exodus of Tam Brams from Tamilnadu who captured the white job market and pushed the local ghat in the blue job market. By successful I mean that Bal is now a demagogue he is mainly because of that.

Karthik Shekhar said...

@sd: Well last year Raj's party was actually supporting Valentine's primarily to oppose Shiv Sena's stand on it. Lovers, I guess, would be hoping to get loose under the shadows of the ethnocentrism

@baccha: Well in India, pluralism is so confined that it cannot step out of our constitution

@chaitrali:"But then I've also heard its a real problem for Mumbai people to get work because of the outsiders."

Now who're the 'mumbai people' and who are the 'outsiders'? We have to argue over mugs and mugs of beer :P

@purshya : Well Bal(asaheb) was successful only in intimidating the chicken hearted tam brams. He apparently did quite a good job in the words of my grandfather but then got carried away. The moment he tried to muscle it up with the Annas in Dharavi the Shiv Sainiks took a beating. They were literally thrashed out of their skins. My grandfather recalls it with great relish as if it were his own personal victory :P