Wednesday 16 July 2008

Back to business

After what was without doubt the best vacation of my life, I am back to my burrow with the sense of urgency reaching out to me- tentacles and clamps. Some unfinished business remains on the thesis front with regards to submitting a journal paper which I have absolutely no interest to work on. Amma smiles me with ladles and tongs in her hands reminding me of my utter lack of dedication when it comes to learning some cooking. I reply with the words "Sandwiches, salads and flavoured yoghurt." She responds sharply, "Proteins?"

My google reader has clocked 1457 unread posts. With one stroke of exasperation, I marked all of them as "read" and unsubscribed myself from quite a few pages. There are too many people around with too much to pontificate about and something in my head reminds me that I'm tired.

I realized that my flight to Boston allows only 23x2 kgs on board. Apart from the utensils and the cornucopia of masalas and other condiments that my mother has already made reservations for, I get a feeling I am going to find place for very few books. Despite being told that the first semester at MIT will allow no leisure for divergent reading I was hoping to carry some books that have been breathing dust in my library for ages. I have finally decided to do whatever it takes to carry the following books. Suggestions for additions and editions are invited though there is a polite possibility the latter might fall into deaf ears :-). Generous donations in the US will be welcomed with folded hands and might be rewarded with fine dining ;).

1. Discovery of India and Glimpses of World History - Jawaharlal Nehru. Both magnum opuses of immense scholarship. I have read both in parts over the last four years but something in me makes me think I would say the same thing four years hence too.

2. GEB- The Eternal Golden Braid - Douglas Hofstadter- Elezier Yudkowsky had recently remarked in Overcoming Bias that a person who has not read this book is incomplete as a human being. Taking that more as a compliment for this wonderful book than anything else (there is no shortage of such rhetoric in the internet these days :P ), I shall first admit that I am still incomplete as a human but shall strive hard to get there from now ;).

3. History of World Philosophy - Bertrand Russell- Once again, a magnum opus by one of the most fertile minds of this century. Haven't read much of the book except the chapters on Spinoza and Kant.

4. The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass- Have a vintage copy of this book but unfortunately never got down to reading it.

5. Collected Short Stories- Jorge Luis Borges- The master postmodernist fiction writer. For any of you who don't have a copy of this book, I highly recommend this collection.

6-10 - Suggestions are welcome :-)

10 comments:

Anirudh Patil said...

hey karthik..
welcome back :)

Karthik Shekhar said...

Thanks baccha :). Hope things are fine at IIML. It will be some time before we meet each other again

Anonymous said...

you can order books at amazon :P

swati

Karthik Shekhar said...

@swati: cost money, it will (Yodaspeak)

Sudeep said...

Upon showing your F-1 visa and proving that this is your first visit to the US on the F-1, you get to carry 23kg x 3 bags. Just find out and confirm.

Rahul Dash said...

Try :

1) The Naked Lunch by William Burroughs

2) Enchantress of Florence by Rushdie

3) We are like that only by Rama Bijapurkar

4) Monkey Business by Wolffe and Todd

Aytidaa Madras said...

GEB divides ur life into pre-GEB and post-GEB...really! :)

Karthik Shekhar said...

@adidas: so I've heard :)

Philip Carey said...

History of western philosophy-Bertrand Russell

Swarry for correction

Karthik Shekhar said...

@p -Thanks! I have had a copy of the book for a very long time. Wonder why I had the wrong name in my head :)