Thursday 10 April 2008

Mars and Venus

Benedick: That a woman conceived me, I thank her; that she brought me up, I likewise give her most humble thanks: but that I will have a recheat winded in my forhead, or hang my bugle in an invisible baldrick, all women shall pardon me. Because I will not do then the wrong to mistrust any, I will do myself the right to trust none; and the fine is, for the which I may go the finer, I will live a bachelor.

Beatrice: What should I do with him? dress him in my apparel, and make him my waiting-gentlewoman? He that hath a beard is more than a youth; and he that hath no beard is less than a man: and he that is more than a youth is not for me; and he that is less than a man, I am not for him: therefore I will even take sixpence in earnest of the bear-ward, and lead his apes into hell.

- Much Ado About Nothing

As I gradually burrow my way through this fantastic comedy, I enjoy being witness to the amazingly crafted sexual tension between the first MCP and the first feminist in literature (feminist is probably a wrong word but I don't know of the female equivalent of an MCP and I don't want to call her a b**** for Beatrice is much too adorable for that).

Taking a break from non-fiction. Will struggle and get past the comedies of Shakespeare in the next few months :-).

No comments: